Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sylvester and The Magic Pebble


Today I read a children's book ( Sylvester and the Magic pebble) to a college classroom of Adults ranging from 20 to 60. I looked up at several points to find faces totally mesmerized and engaged. Big open eyes and imaginative expressions all around the room. Granted William Steig wrote a masterpiece, but I cant help but wonder at what point did it all become so complicated? It seems as if adult life is about conquering new and revolving struggles. With each chink our armor becomes more resilient, our souls more whole. Maslow, the famed psychologist developed a hierarchy of needs model:
"Self-Actualization" the highest attainment we can seek. What is self actualization? I wonder what you think it is?
After seeing the childlike expressions on all those adult faces, lost in a children's story,

I cant help but imagine it means recovering the self- unconscious inner child that lives and breathes (yet lost) in each and every one of us.

To return to Sylvester and his Magic pebble, I pose to you these questions:

What makes us feel empowered? Is it control? Or is it releasing control and falling into the liquid stream of life?

Ask yourself,

IS IT BETTER:
"To Get What You Want" or "To Want What You Get"?

No comments: