Thursday, April 19, 2012

“Young Woman In A Wheelchair”


Young woman in a wheel chair
When my despair searches 
In the eyes of strangers 
For a taste of healing recognition,

Or when the symptoms of my loneliness 
Have progressed to the point 
That most evenings, 
I look from my apartment window 
Down into the kitchen of the apartment across from mine Just to partake in the way 
They as a couple, prepare dinner together. 
Pitifully, I imagine it could be me 
Chopping the fresh vegetables and sharing a laugh 
About some trivial event from my day... 

And  even though I am ashamed to admit 
I do this voyeuristic lonely charade 
From the looking glass of my apartment window;
When I observe you wheeling through a city intersection 
In the solitary confinement of your thoughts, 
And that chair, 
I am sure my sadly pathetic game 
Would be something you would dismiss 
As perhaps, the best part of your day. 


For the ocean of longing in the heart of a beautiful girl 
With a shining smile and a pretty face is so great 
That human happiness is just an empty vase 
Longing for a bouquet of flowers,
It doesn't even know 
How much it is missing-

And to the god, who created the female creature
To laugh, dance, sing and seductively draw us in 
With her magnificent charms,

I want to tell you 
That I hate you with every once of feeling and life 
I have coursing in my blood and flesh
For imprisoning some little girls 
To the charmless, sexless existence of a chair-

And Men such as me
Should tuck their  broken little romantic hearts In shame, 
For the pity it rolls around in- 


copyright marc daniels --April 17, 2012 (Philadelphia, PA)

No comments:

Post a Comment